Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Learncations

So the new in thing is Learncations, I have learned.  I have got to be the nerdiest farmer in the world so just hearing the word, I already believe this is a totally awesome concept.  What could be more fun than going somewhere cool and learning something?  See, I told you I was a nerd.



But seriously!  Talk about more bang for your buck.  Isn't there something you want to learn?  Something you've just been dying to learn, but it's not quite important enough to schedule time for because you have so much else to do?  Like learning to crochet or train a killer whale or be a trapeze artist?  Okay, I don't really want to do the trapeze thing, but training a killer whale would be mind-blowing (see the pun there? whale...blowing-ok forget it).


Except I would probably get eaten by a killer whale, so maybe I'd just learn crocheting.

That penguin would be me

If I was going to take a learncation, I would probably actually go to another farm to see what the competition is doing and try to learn how to do it so I could offer it to guests because I am a total capitalist.  But seriously, what a great concept.  People today are obsessed with learning.  And with good reason.  Afterall, you can't even get a job at McDonald's anymore without a college degree.
I got my doctorate and became a farmer.  Glad I didn't stop at a bachelor's.
Plus, learning is so much fun when you're not learning for an exam or learning for work.  You're just learning for fun's sake.  And a learncation means you're learning someplace cool, someplace new.  I mean seriously, think of all the cool places you could learn underwater basket weaving?


We want to make our farmstay into a real learncation.  So many other guest ranches and similar vacation places have the stupidest activities like tye-dying shirts.  Really?  What does that have to do with farming?
Okay well maybe if you tye-dye your chickens
We want people to REALLY learn what farm life is really like.

Minus the excruciatingly hard work, long hours and freaking out about paying the bills as the food nazis try to shut you down at gun point

We want to preserve farming as a way of life and try to encourage others into farming.  What better way than to do it in the form of a learncation?



No comments:

Post a Comment